Your Choice Barnet, that provides services for adults with learning and physical disabilities, the first One Barnet projects to be outsourced, is in financial difficulties. As a result, it is proposing to restructure services and reduce staffing levels. We are concerned that the proposed changes will mean:
* fewer stimulating activities in a safe environment for vunerable Barnet residents.
* fewer staff to work with vulnerable residents.
* less supervision of, training and support for remaining skilled staff.
* night staff in Valley Way respite unit and Agatha House reduced to only one worker per shift meaning no incontinence care at night.
* loss of professional staff and lower morale and motivation among remaining staff.
* negative impact on staff health and well-being, with a knock-on impact on service quality.
Both the Francis Inquiry into Mid Staffordshire NHS Foundation Trust and the Winterbourne View abuse scandal highlighted the shocking results of employing unskilled and unsupervised staff.
We are calling on the Council to bring Your Choice Barnet back in-house and end the proposed restructuring in order to ensure that vulnerable Barnet residents continue to receive the safe and adequate service they deserve and we all expect.