Under TTIP when procuring goods or services, local governments would have to submit tenders across the EU & the USA. Very likely is that multi-national companies would win the tenders. Local companies would simply not get a look-in, nor the administrative resources challenge the big companies. Bad for the local economy and local employment.
· TTIP negotiations are carried out in secret.
· There has been no consultation of any local or regional government, or of any umbrella organisation.
· There has been no impact assessment on the effects of TTIP on local or regional government.
· Local governments or umbrella organisations are not allowed to view TTIP negotiation documents. Neither are MPs.
· TTIP includes the use of the Investor State Dispute Settlement (ISDS).
This allows corporations to sue a governments if it passes a law which could infringe on the profit that corporation expects to make.
· ISDS provides for the usage of secret private which are held in secret, and there is no possibility of appeal against decisions.
* 26 other UK councils including Tory-run North Somerset, , 450 in France, 64 in Spain and 300 in Germany, including Siegen-Wittgenstein, Barnet’s twin town, have all passed resolutions raising grave concerns about TTIP. Sign the petition here