HAVE YOU BEEN CONSULTED?
A letter to carers using Your Choice Barnet
Your Choice Barnet, the for-profit Local Authority Trading Company that provides the services for adults with learning and physical disabilities, is in financial difficulties. As a result, it is proposing to restructure the services and reduce staffing levels. The details can be found at: http://barnetalliance.org/2013/03/04/your-choice-thelatc-is-collapsing/
What the proposed changes mean
* Combining Barnet Independent Social Housing and Community Space = fewer stimulating activities in a safe environment for your loved ones, which can damage health and well-being.
* Up to 7 posts will be cut = fewer staff to work with your loved ones.
* Team leaders’ jobs will be cut = less supervision of, and training and support for, remaining skilled staff.
* Night staff in Valley Way respite unit and in Agatha House will be reduced to only one worker per shift = no incontinence care at night.
* Reduced pay and a 7-day rota without compensation for evenings and weekends = loss of some professional staff and lower morale and motivation among remaining staff.
* Reduction of staff on already stretched services = negative impact on staff health and well-being, more sick leave taken, and the knock-on impact on service quality.
* Charges for transport and escorting services = increased costs for the vulnerable.
Both the Francis Enquiry into Mid-Staffordshire hospital and the Winterbourne View case regarding the care for adults with learning disabilities highlighted the shocking results of employing unskilled and unsupervised staff.
What you can do about it:
* Sign the petition calling on Barnet Council to bring Your Choice Barnet back in-house here.
* Ask to be consulted about the changes in a meaningful way.
* Ask the management of your specific service what they think the proposed changes will mean to the service your loved ones will receive, and what it will mean to you.
* Ask Rebecca Touli, your representative on the Your Choice Barnet and Barnet Group board, for a report on the part of the board meeting on 4 March 2013 from which the public was excluded.
* Tell us about any changes to the nature or quality services your loved ones have been receiving for the past year.
* Join forces with us to demand that Your Choice Barnet services are brought back in-house for the long-term security of care for your loved ones.
Social services cannot be run for profit – they must be run according to need, and need only.
PUBLIC MEETING TO DISCUSS FURTHER ACTIONS
Thursday 11 April, 7-9pm, Greek Cypriot Centre, 2 Britannia Road, North Finchley N12 9RU
Barnet Alliance for Public Services / CADDSS
c/o Greek Cypriot Centre, 2 Britannia Road, North Finchley N12 9RU
Email: [email protected]
07534 407 703
‘Your Choice’ Care Workers Campaign
c/o Barnet UNISON, North London Business Park, Oakleigh Road South, London N11 1NP